Google Now Will Prioritize In-Depth Research When Ranking Product Reviews
On April 8, around 1 p.m. EST, Google announced a new algorithm update centered around product reviews.
This update’s focus is to further help users by supplying search results with “content that provides insightful analysis and original research, and is written by experts or enthusiasts who know the topic well.”
What We Know (and Don’t Know)
So far, we do not know what percentage of queries this will impact, or how long it will take for the algorithm to complete updating. In the past, most updates of this sort took around two weeks to fully roll out.
We do know what type of content is affected, however. According to Barry Schwartz on Twitter, in response to a question about if this update is aimed at reviews on ecommerce sites, he stated:
“This is more aimed at the content that ranks for queries like [iPhone XR review] [casper mattress review] [ring doorbell review]”
Additionally, at this time, only content in English will be impacted.
How to Improve Product Review Content
In Google’s release statement, they provided the following questions to ask yourself
when publishing product review content. Do your reviews:
- Express expert-level knowledge about products when appropriate?
- Describe what the product is like or how it is used beyond what’s provided by the manufacturer?
- Feature quantitative measurements about how the product measures up in various categories of performance?
- Detail what sets the product apart from its competition?
- State other products to consider that are comparable and discuss what other products might be better for certain circumstances?
- Cover not only the benefits but also the drawbacks of the product based on research into it?
- Describe how the product has improved from previous models and provide improvements or issues that help users making purchasing decisions?
- Detail what might be key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas?
- For example, reviews of cars might feature info on safety, mileage, and other details that rate performance and are decision-making aspects.
- Indicate key choices in how the product was designed and their effect on the purchaser beyond what the manufacturer says?
Other Recent Google News
- Request GMB Review Removal with This New Form
- Mobile-First Indexing Is Almost Complete
- “About This Result” Now in Beta in the U.S.
- Google Ads Is Phasing Out Modified Broad Match Keywords
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
This blog was originally sent out to our exclusive email list. To receive in-the-know updates on all things digital marketing, be sure to subscribe!